This blog is about looking at both the positive and negative side of k-pop by linking k-pop to some common worldly issues. The aim of this

blog is to provide a somewhat neutral approach to Korean music in a worldly manner. Whether you decided to support K-pop with colourful

flying banners or throw banana peels at the artists after reading this blog is entirely up to you ~

Friday 12 April 2013

A Picture Says 1000 Words



Let me ask you all a question. Do you feel love, or do you hear love ? Sure people can hear love and everyone can open their mouth and tell you they love you, but does that really mean anything to you ? Would it make you breathe heavier and your heat beat faster from a mere three words, or would it be more important to feel the meaning of those words in your heart ? This time the topic that I will discuss is how K-pop touches your heart even without us understand the lyrics just by the raw emotions of seeing the MV and the emotions from the voice of the singer.

I cried. I know it may seem like I'm exaggerating but I'm not. I cried softly the first time I ever heard 'Don't Love' by FT Island, just soft little sniffs into a tissue but then, I bawled my eyes out later. Now I'm not trying to say that the lyrics of songs don't mean anything. That would be a lie because I admit, I cried harder than before when I saw the English translation of the lyrics. I just don't agree that music is meaningless as soon as the lyrics could not be understood. The lead singer Hongki has ... this voice that just taps on my heart panels and my brows automatically start to meet into a frown and ... I just start feeling like some kinda leading actress in some tragic drama. You know, one of those scenes where a couple stare at each other not moving a muscle and there's this background music that plays and distracts you from the fact that the two people haven't moved for like 5 mins now. My point is, music itself is already filled with emotions, and with the song being fortunate enough to be sang by an emotional singer, words may not be the most important aspect of the song anymore.


It would be a rather good question to ask if ‘This is War’ by MBLAQ is an MV or a mini drama. A short 5:37 clip was enough to tell the story of how an assassin fell in love with his target and went against his organisation to protect her instead. Sadly while asking for help from a childhood friend, a love triangle was formed. A fight rose up and the assassin brought his gun into the story, aiming it at the two people he loved the most and firing the bullet. That’s probably enough of me retelling the story now. My point was that the MV itself had managed to create the mood and atmosphere and even if I didn’t know what the lyrics were saying, I bawled my eyes out when the assassin twisted the bullet to return to himself, killing himself instead of the two people whom he loved and felt betrayed from. The ending scene showed him taking out a cheque which was the reason why he was absent so much, because he was trying to earn money to support them. Just in a few minutes, I was drawn to tears from an MV and a song which I knew none of the words to. A picture really says a thousand words. 


All images credited to the YouTube official MV ~

No comments:

Post a Comment