This blog is about looking at both the positive and negative side of k-pop by linking k-pop to some common worldly issues. The aim of this

blog is to provide a somewhat neutral approach to Korean music in a worldly manner. Whether you decided to support K-pop with colourful

flying banners or throw banana peels at the artists after reading this blog is entirely up to you ~

Monday 15 April 2013

K-pop = Multilingual



Why do people tend to judge K-pop just from a few examples?!? Arghhh it makes me so mad *(>_<)* I understand that there are a few ... quite shocking examples of bad English in the K-pop industry, but what do you expect? It’s not their first language and they don’t use it, so give them some credit for at least trying. I would like to see some American idols try and sing in Korean, bet they won’t sound exactly sugar and spices either. Plus, some K-pop idols speak English perfectly~ well! There is this saying that in every K-pop band, there is always at least one member who can speak perfect English and the others all speak another language at an acceptable level. Oh you talented humans!!!

I’m a K-pop girl, so when the song ‘Call Me Maybe’ first came out, I did not nor had the urge, to listen to it. Of course I heard bits and pieces of it playing in random stores, but I never heard the full song until Tiffany—a member of the K-pop girl band ‘Girls Generation’ sang a cover of it. Hold your horses, I’m not trying to compare singing skills or anything, so don’t get defensive. Now, the original singer speaks English (duh) so no way am I going to go as far as saying Tiffany’s English was better. I just want you guys to give it the whole of K-pop a chance before judging the whole industry as ‘Messed up English users’. Can’t you see that they are trying to sing songs in English so that their international fans feel more of a connection to them? Why else would you think most idols spend their time trying to learn different languages? 

Click me to listen to the song Call Me Maybe !!!  

Ok, I know I’m getting off-track, lets stick to English. I know singers have a whole team of people to back them up and teach them how to sing and stuff so it may not be extremely impressive to hear Tiffany sing in PERFECT ENGLISH; K-pop idols speak English perfectly fine in interviews too. Just to prove they didn’t have the script beforehand and stuff I picked an interview that was done by a pretty famous Youtube channel. It doesn’t go on TV, so no backup helpers here. The K-pop boy band called U-Kiss showed off their, not one, but TWO English speaking members and revealed that they have already considering themselves ‘losing their English’. Those humble talented people!!! Not only that but you can see the others are trying very hard to improve their English ! As if they are already not busy enough, they are trying so hard to reach out to international fans and trust me, being one myself, it is one of the sweetest things ever to know that they are putting so much effort just so they can exchange a few words with you.

Click me to see the interview with U-Kiss !!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment